Monday, March 10, 2008


After the message, we stood by the door as the men filed out and back to their cells. About 80% of the guys waited in line so they could shake our hands and say thank you. Some want to stop and engage us in conversation, which near the end of the line is briefly possible. One man (Slovak) spoke enough English to communicate with me without translation. He said he had lived in Texas briefly. He appeared as if he had been in a few fights recently. With a large man standing next to him he asked me if I thought it was acceptable for his friend to use anger to protect him when he is being attacked. He went on to share with me that he is often the target violence in this facility due to his small frame and weak appearance. My heart really went out to him. He was obviously suffering in a prison within a prison with almost no way to get free. In the brief time we had together I simply tried to empathize with him and tell him I would be praying for him. What a helpless feeling I had, although nothing which could compare to his helplessness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home