Thursday, October 02, 2008


In this photo we have a large group of German young people attending a rally to honor Adolf Hitler. The quote from Hitler was cut off in my photo so I will put the quote here. Hitler said to the young crowd: “I freed Germany from the stupid and degrading fallacies of conscience, morality...We will train young people before whom the whole world will tremble. I want young people capable of violence, imperious, relentless, cruel.” I thought about this quote for a long time. Is it really enough to just breed a violent, amoral mentality in people to convince them that slaughtering 6 million people is the right thing to do? I cant imagine it would be true. I have to think that somewhere along the way, maybe as you see your first real person being tortured and killed, that your early childhood training about treating other people with civility and decency would be activated on some level. There must be something else at work here, something beyond the influence of a family, a leader, a movement or a society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home