Thursday, October 02, 2008


What's even more interesting as part of this discussion is that the extreme prejudice and bigotry displayed by the people involved in this genocide did not come into full bloom without a long and slow percolation of hatred. There were many small decisions that were made over a long period of time which lead them to this idea that Jews, Poles and others were subhuman. In the beginning ,decades before this camp, the beliefs about these people being less than human were not so prominent, nor the feelings of blood hatred, only the unspoken notion that there were differences between them as people, an unbalanced value. However, nurtured by simple and common belief's such as 'I am a good person' and 'I have value and importance above these others', they eventually found they were able to convince themselves that it was acceptable and appropriate to slaughter these 'less important' people. While I cannot imagine myself believing that it is right and acceptable to treat other people in such a heinous fashion, its no problem for me to identify with the mentality that I am a good person, even to the point of somehow being better than others (more caring or more acceptable...). Does that mean that myself, and others like me, have the capability to perpetrate similar types of atrocities? Could it be that this seemingly innocuous mentality of being good is actually a dark internal seed which when fully blossomed can produce a variety of terrible consequences?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home