Thursday, February 21, 2008

I have some more friends I want to introduce you to. After Sunday service a few weeks ago this nice lady, Julia (yulia), approached me after service and invited me to lunch for the following Sunday. Two things really surprised me; first, I had never met her before and she just introduced herself and invited me to lunch (which is not common for the introverted Slovaks)and second, most people from her generation dont know any of the english language. We were joined at lunch by her husband Milos (me-losh), one of their sons Martin and one of their neices and her boyfriend. Milos is a retired medical doctor and Julia worked in education. They both told me fascinating stories about the days of communism and what they had to endure during that time. For example, there were state sponsored rallys where people were ordered to show up to the city center to cheer and wave flags as politicians gave speeches. They said the secret police walked around writing in their notebooks who attended and who did not. You could be turned down for any type of social assistance (food, medical, educational, occupational) if you were given a poor report from the police (whether it was true or not).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home