Monday, March 10, 2008


Usually we have about 20 to 30 guys in attendance. These are not mandatory meetings but totally voluntary. Today we had about 75 men in attendance. As always we get quite a range of ages. It is also common that we have primarily two ethnic backgrounds represented: Slovaks and Gypsy. Being that this was my first visit to this facility I shared the message on Anger, Shame and Healing. As always the message is wrapped in the core messages of the biblical gospel. On this occasion I delivered my message using the story of a prisoner I met in Minnesota many years ago as the back drop. This man, Jason, was serving a life sentence for killing a man who had been trying to flirt with his girlfriend at a party. Over a period of about 1 year I became friends with Jason and learned a lot about the abuse of his childhood at the hands of an alcoholic father and his beliefs about anger. I go into a little more depth about the father son relationship because research has indicated for years that most incarcerated men had significant relationship issues with their father or no relationship at all. The message is about 45 minutes long and typically there seems to be a high degree of attentiveness. At the conclusion we have a time for questions and answers. On this occasion the questions were mostly centered on faith or spirituality. One man asked if I thought that Jesus was killed by the Jews or the Romans. I replied that Jesus wasn’t killed but rather allowed himself to be sacrificed for our sake, which was more important to me than who put the events in motion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home