Thursday, October 02, 2008


After only a few more steps inside the front gate we encountered this sign. It would be the first of many of the shocking realities found in this place. One of the first thoughts which came to my mind as I surveyed the well built buildings and the common sense design and layout of the camp was 'all of this creative planning, hard work and organizational fortitude was all done with one purpose in mind-to murder people.' Its staggering to the point of being unfathomable. During our time there the weather was very pleasant and there was a calm tranquility in the air. Despite these tangible external realities there was a constant heaviness in my soul as we walked around, a sense that we were walking on unholy ground. And yet after reading some of the accounts of the people who were imprisoned here there can be no mistaking that a sense of the sacred could be found here as well. Throughout the course of my life there is a constant process going on inside my head, or better said a drivenness, to try to make sense of the world around me. As a human being I think its programmed into me to want to ask “why?” However, each time I tried to wrap my mind around the reality of the events which unfolded here 70 years ago I received a 'failure to compute' message from my brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home