Thursday, October 02, 2008


As I said earlier, my time here at the camp was an emotional experience. In addition to the sadness and the incredulity was a silent anger. The questions kept rolling through my mind: how could they perpetrate such a heinous act, what were they thinking, how can people be so ignorant, cruel? However these moments of anger were abruptly interrupted for me on more than one occasion by some of the reading material displayed on the walls. Each time I was forced to ask myself a very difficult question; am I really so different from these people? In amongst the thousands of stories about the people who were brought here to die, there were a few accounts about how some of the German soldiers, many of whom were considered monsters, evolved from children in normal, loving families to killing without a conscience. What happened with these soldiers? What horrific force lead them to this 'heart of darkness'?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home