Sunday, February 11, 2007

My efforts to learn the language here continue to inch forward. The process seems agonizingly slow at times. One person told me its a lot like drinking the ocean through a straw, so I just keeping on slurping. In addition to the class I attend at the local University I have acquired a personal teacher who will help me to develop my conversational skills. While it is a great blessing to have so many English speaking Slovak friends, it also means I don’t get enough practice applying what I am learning. When I am around non English speakers the language is spoken too fast for me to really comprehend what is being said. The class teaches me the complicated grammar information and I can work on the vocabulary on my own. I estimate my vocabulary at around 2000 words. The conversational piece is what’s missing. My personal instructor will give me the ability to do the conversation aspect at my level and pace. This is an endeavor comparable to learning to play an instrument. When you first start you have enthusiasm and zeal. You can visualize yourself becoming an accomplished performer. Later, as you find out just how difficult it will be to reach a high level, your enthusiasm begins to diminish. At that point it is just a matter of making a commitment to grind it out no matter how hard it is. My attitude is ‘I am in their country, I need to speak their language.’ Most people I meet are very patient and kind when the communication is not flowing so well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home