Monday, March 10, 2008


As is customary of our other prison trips, we were invited to come by the chaplain of the facility who is a Catholic priest. In this photo he is on the far left, his name is Gabriel. We had some time before the men would be assembled so he gave us a tour of the facility and then we chatted for awhile in his office. Gabriel doesn’t speak any English but I was able to ask him a few questions about his work, one or two on my own and several more using my translator, Fero, who is on the far right. Fero is 17 and a junior at the C.S. Lewis school where I sometimes do after school activities with kids. He has been on the blog before but this is his first trip into a prison and he was quite excited and a little nervous. Janko, also seen here, is my priatel (friend) from the Evangelical Mass Media Center who works to create these opportunities with the prisons. Usually there are no cameras allowed at these facilities. On each of our trips I put my camera in my pocket and ask at the security check in if our prison host would carry my camera for me in hopes of getting a few photos to chronicle our experience. So far I’ve been turned down each time. On this occasion I simply forgot that the camera was in my pocket and it didn’t get noticed at security. When we were in Gabriel’s office I remembered it and asked him if we could get a few pics. He told me to just keep it out of sight and don’t be obvious about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home