Thursday, March 01, 2007


Perpetual spring continues here in Slovakia as the climate feels like a Minnesota April. Although as you can see by the photos we did have what seemed to be one more small attempt by winter to make an appearance. The forecast is for 60’s this next week. This is the Bratislava castle which sits majestically atop the hill overlooking the city. Despit the wintery appearance here, there have already been several days where shorts was all that was needed which always draws many stares and strange looks from the locals. Many of them are still wearing winter coats with scarves, hats, gloves… When I tell people what the temps have been back where I grew up it seems people can understand better a guy who doesn’t wear a coat. My journey of acclimation into the culture here is also perpetual, the layers of which are deep and wide. By that I mean the process takes place on so many different levels such as language, attitudes, behavioral norms...and goes deeper (or takes longer) than one can know with a simple understanding. The variations included in the process are as long and complex as human beings themselves. The effects of constantly being exposed to “acclimation” take a subtle but very real toll. Sometimes I get frustrated by the fatigue I experience here which occurs so frequently since coming to Slovakia. This is something I have not experienced before in my life, at least not on this scale. The majority of my life I have enjoyed a high level of energy and drive. I have come to realize that this process of acclimation, which I underestimated before arriving here, consumes quite a bit of my energy each day in a way not so easily noticed. As each week goes by I believe the drain of energy is not as strong as before but still very prevalent. Each day it is important to make sure I adhere to a good balanced regimen of everything I need to be as healthy as possible ( body, mind and spirit). When I can do that successfully I am able to get through the days, accomplish what I need to do and find a measure of contentment through it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home