Tuesday, May 22, 2007

In the past I have believed that going to church, reading the bible and even praying were guaranteed methods for knowing God. This is not necessarily true. Truly coming in to God’s presence depends on the state of your heart and your mind when you engage in these activities. And knowing about God is obviously not the same as knowing God. In my experience, the only things that can guarantee that I am engaging in the process of knowing God more deeply is clinging to Him with a simple trust and surrendering my will and life to Him. There is so much to comprehend about these two deeply profound elements. Surely, I will spend my whole lifetime seeking to enter into a deeper trust and a more complete surrendering to Abba Father. Writing about them could easily consume many pages. In short, I have learned that trusting and surrendering in relationship with God involves nothing short of a total abandonment of all that I am to all that He is. I know there must be a recognition, as well as a consistently held mentality, that I am nothing, have nothing and can do nothing without my Abba Father.
It is almost too incredible to ponder the reality that God has made Himself and His character known to me and all of creation. When I meditate on this truth it is awe inspiring. However I am still inclined to ask the question, why would God give me a mind with the ability to grasp some of the complexities of who He is and yet an inability with regard to the extravagant love He lavishes on His people. I ask myself what would happen if it was the other way around, that I could understand and grasp God’s love but not who He is. Speaking for myself I know that I would get hooked on the love and end up paying no attention to the lover. God has stopped at nothing in my life (especially lately) to painstakingly reveal Himself to me in a way that would lead to a deeper dependence on Him, not the amazing things He offers. The reality is that I am wired in such a way that I will not be so open hearted to the love of someone I do not truly know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home