Thursday, October 05, 2006

Last night (oct 4th) I was invited to speak at a Lutheran church here in the city to a group of college students. Some of you know I have been doing an anger seminar over the years at churches back home. This is a photo of me and my translator, Martin, doing part 1 of "The Roots of Anger." Part 2 will be next week. There were about 45 people present and based on the feedback the information and discussion was well received. About 75% of the audience speak good english which is common for this age group, especially when they are attending university. Even so, the translation is necessary and helpful.
As each week goes by the cool fall air takes the place of summer’s warm breezes. The fall here in Slovakia is much like it is in the upper midwest of the states. The trees are beginning to turn, the sun is a little lower in the sky and the cool crisp air is invigorating. I am getting more and more comfortable here as the days go by and as I get more familiar with my surroundings. I continue to meet new people and build significant relationships. This is, as I see it, at the heart of my purpose here. Programs and strategies are necessary but relationships are what make them effective. The over-all experience here continues to be an eye opener. A person can read all they want about what it looks like to come to another culture and become apart of it but until you actually experience it… well, that’s where assumptions and reality collide. I have been learning the importance of simplifying my life. There is tremendous importance in moving slowly, seeking often the stillness and solitude and treating every encounter with another person as if they are the only person on the planet. Don’t get me wrong, I am a long way off from living this way consistently, but it is my goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home