Friday, September 21, 2007


This is a small mountain community known as Cicmany (Cheech-mah-nee). They are best known for these strange markings on the houses and an abundance of interesting history. This community created its own little culture including certain types of food, clothing and religious customs. (now back to the previous thought)
Using these influential historical experiences as a backdrop I want to share some of my own personal thoughts about my new countrymen based on my observations over the past 16 months. To some degree my experience is limited because of the language barrier. As you might imagine, its quite difficult to truly get to know someone you cant even have a basic conversation with. Although it is accurate to say that I do have Slovaks friends who don’t speak any English. They are typically part of a group of people who do speak English and therefore the available translation gives me the opportunity to connect with them. However the reality is that I am mostly in relationship with those who speak some level of English. Most people who have the ability to speak English are college educated people and are situated in the middle to upper middle class of the socioeconomic status. Consequently, my exposure to the people of Slovakia has been somewhat limited thus far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home