Tuesday, September 22, 2009


If you look closely you can see some iron bars which have been drilled into the rock and serve as steps for hikers. The chain also helps in that you can pull yourself up and be sure to keep your balance.
When I am fasting I am able to see more clearly how much I am sidetracked in life by trivial concerns and pursuits, how much wasted time there is and how shallow and judgmental I can be. Fasting helps me to see better God's fingerprints on my life. I can see more clearly how richly He has blessed me and how ungrateful I have been in response. And in a very simple way, I just sense God's presence more tangibly when I am fasting. The richness and depth of His love, mercy and compassion grab hold of me in a more powerful way. When the time comes to break my fast its interesting to notice that almost immediately after I have eaten I feel a spiritual dullness. The old pride and whispers of self reliance begin to creep back in and pull me back into the flesh. I have much to learn about this enigmatic, yet enriching, discipline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home