Saturday, April 24, 2010


So, one main element of happiness is feelings of satisfaction when our basic needs are met. For many people the philosophy is, the more of these possessions you have, the more happiness you have. And its quite easy, I would say, to get into the mentality that we deserve happiness, especially in America. We develop this sense of entitlement. Many even come to believe that God’s central role in our lives is to provide us with the happiness we are entitled to. This is a dangerous mentality because it leads us down a dark road where ignorance and false expectation breed disappointment with God and a decision that He is not the answer or simply doesn’t exist. People ask, “why would a loving God allow us to experience unhappiness?” At that point I asked the men, “is it possible that there is something better than happiness, something better than having plenty of money, a great career, a nice wife, lots of possessions?” Then I read them a quote from the Apostle Paul who was in a dungeon at the time, shackled, hungry and sick… he says, “…for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything in Him who gives me strength.” Amazing! A man in that condition saying that he is a contented man. I suggested to the men that the bible is making the assertion that contentment is indeed better than happiness because it doesn’t only depend on having the trappings of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home